At 0830 hrs. a box alarm was dispatched for the county courthouse located at 14735 Main St. in Upper Marlboro. First arriving units reported smoke coming from the upper floors and roof. While proceeding on a transfer to Marlboro Co. 20 the second alarm was sounded making E-371 first due engine on the second alarm. Upon arrival E-371 took position at the entrance to the new courthouse which was built in 1991. Due to the standpipe being out of service while the courthouse was receiving renovations the engine crew stretched a 600 attack line through the new courthouse to the second floor. Once in place the fire was held in check to keep from spreading from the old courthouse to the new courthouse while ladder pipes were put in place. The old portion of the courthouse was completely destroyed by the fire which spread fast due to high winds while the newer portion received only minor smoke and water damage. At the height of the incident 5 alarms were operating from numerous jurisdictions. Co. 37 operated for 6 hours and returned to service at 1430 hrs. Some units remained on the scene throughout the night containing hot spots.